Vietnamese Spicy Fishball Noodle Soup
Serves 5 pax
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
300 g fish heads (tilapia/tenggiri/mackerel)
300 g chicken bones
2 litres water
3 shallots, peeled
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp shallot, diced
1 tbsp cooking oil
3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
½ pineapple, peeled, cut into wedges
1 tsp crispy prawn chilli
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp fine shrimp sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1 chicken stock cubes (optional)
300 g MUSHROOM Frozen White Fish Balls (S), thawed
300 g Vietnamese rice vermicelli
20 g spring onion, diced
20 g coriander leaves, chopped
1 lime, cut into wedges
10 g bird’s eye chillies, sliced
Raw vegetable (water spinach or bean sprouts)
1. Using a stock pot, add in fish head, chicken bones, shallots, salt, pepper and water. Bring to boil and skim off the scum and foam. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
2. On a frying pan, heat cooking oil and stir-fry shallot and crispy prawn chilli until fragrant. Then, add in MUSHROOM Frozen White Fish Balls and tomato, stir-fry for another 1 minute. Set aside.
3. Strain out the stock, set the pot on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Add pineapple, stir-fried MUSHROOM Frozen White Fish Balls and tomato mixture, simmer for another 15 minutes on low heat.
4. Adjust the flavour with fish sauce, fine shrimp paste, sugar, and chicken stock cubes (optional).
5. In a medium bowl, put a handful of boiled rice vermicelli with MUSHROOM Frozen White Fish Balls, pineapple and tomato.
6. Pour the soup into the bowl. Garnish with spring onion and coriander on top.
7. Serve immediately with raw vegetable, lime and fresh hot chilli.